A Simple 5-Minute Evidence-Based Technique to Help You Ground Your Self & Keep your Head Amidst the Hustle & Bustle of Christmas and All the Days Before & After
It is our desire that you Feel Good this Christmas Break – if not all the time, then at least much of the time.
A simple technique to help yourself remain focused & grounded is the ‘Take-5’ mindfulness approach.
The beauty and simplicity of this technique is that it can be used at any time and in any situation and does not require special training or months of practice!
When to use it?
At any time throughout the day where you have a sense or feeling of overwhelm or potential for overwhelm, ‘Take-5’.
How does it work?
- Wherever you are, just for a moment, focus on something in the far distance, and take a deep breath, or two or three or four.
- Relax your shoulders, then begin to pay attention to your environment, just generally observing what is around you. Take another deep breath or two, whilst relaxing your shoulders a little more.
- After a 20-30s, begin to bring your focus in a little, then a little more and then begin to…
- Notice 5 things you can see
- Notice 5 things you can hear
- Notice 5 things you can feel or touch (maybe your clothing, the shopping trolley, the steering wheel, keys in your pocket, strap of your bag, etc.)
- Notice 5 things you can taste (this may require your imagination unless you are about to eat), and finally
- Notice 5 things you can smell (again this may require your imagination unless you are standing in a food hall)
- Repeat this exercise 5 times, going from 5 things you experience through your senses to 4 things, then 3, then 2, until with the final repetition, you are noticing just one thing for each of your 5 senses.
- Once you have repeated the exercise 5 times slowly bring your attention back to your body and begin to bring your mind slow back to the task ahead. Breath in – breath out, relax your shoulders, look to the horizon or a distant object, adjust your posture and then step, grounded and focused, quietly, and confidently, into the next segment of your day.
This exercise can be done at your own pace and adjusted to your own preferences.
This exercise can be done anywhere and anytime. It can be used as often as you wish. It is an exercise that offers you momentary reprieve from the busy mind.
This exercise can give you that brief and much needed moment of replenishment using the senses for when life gets busy with deadlines, demands and multi-tasking.
This exercise is safe, and evidence based. It can be used by adults and children. It is quick, user friendly, easy, and functional and does not take up much time.
This exercise offers you the opportunity to take stock of yourself quickly, quietly, and privately, at any given moment throughout the day.
We will offer more mindfulness exercises over the next few weeks for you to try out, because it is our desire to help you Feel Good, because we know
It Feels Good to Feel Good
It really, truly does!